This open house was active from Nov. 4-20, 2022. Information on this website may no longer be current. Email us for more information.
Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
All the flavors of carrot cake rolled into tasty cookies! Tender oatmeal cookies filled with cinnamon, grated carrots and coconut and filled with cream cheese frosting.
- One-half cup unsalted butter, softened slightly
- One-half cup brown sugar, packed
- One-half cup granulated sugar
- One large egg
- One teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- One cup plus 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- One-half teaspoon baking soda
- One-half teaspoon baking powder
- Three-fourths teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One-fourth teaspoon salt
- Half cup old fashioned rolled oats, not quick oats
- Half cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- Two-thirds cup finely grated carrots (do not pack)
- Four ounces cream cheese, softened
- Four tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- One and a half cups powdered sugar, plus more, if needed
- One fourth teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugars for one to two minutes until light and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat to combine, scraping the bowl if necessary.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low until just combined. Add the oats, coconut, carrots and walnuts and mix until just combined.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Scoop the dough evenly into two teaspoon sized mounds and place a couple inches apart on the cookie sheets. Make sure they are mounded and not flat. Ensure that the cookies will be similar in size since the cookies will be sandwiched.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until golden brown and still slightly soft in the center. Rotate your cookie sheets halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking. Cool the cookies completely on the baking sheets. Once cool, place the cookies in the refrigerator to firm up a little while you prepare the frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and butter for several minutes, until combined. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat for a couple more minutes until smooth and creamy. If the frosting appears too thin, add a little more powdered sugar or place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to slightly firm up.
- Spread frosting on the underside of half of the cookies and top with another cookie.
Store them in the refrigerator and eat them from the fridge or bring to room temp before serving.